Wednesday 27 June 2012

My next big design project

I love charity shop finds. Over the years I’ve bought Sisley and Coast dresses, an Armani top, Fly London shoes and all for less than a £10 each. One of my favourite finds, though, is a Comme Ca crossover T-shirt. I wear it a lot, and this means it’s fast wearing out. The seams have started to fray, and while at the moment it’s fixable, it’s a timely reminder that my beloved top isn’t going to last forever. So I’m thinking of making a replacement.

The top in question. It looks pretty simple to reconstruct.
(Famous last words ..!)
 I’ve never made a crossover top before, but I’m assuming it’s much like a cardigan. That said, I’ve never made one of those either. It can’t be that hard, though. I’m planning to just copy the dimensions and construction of the top I’ve got - really just take some measurements, knit a gauge square, do the maths and start knitting. This is generally my take on design - I don't go in for all that sketching things out on graph paper. It's worked for me so far.

I want to do it in Rico Essentials merino DK, in a nice chocolate brown with a cream trim. Time to go shopping, methinks.

1 comment:

Kate O'Neill said...

I'd think about doing it top down - see if you can get Fitted Knits by Stephanie Japel, cause this might give you an idea how to do the crossover
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/airy-wrap-around-lace-sweater